Skip to main content

Featured post

THE MOROCCAN LOVE POT: Couscous

" Can I call you on Saturday ?", he asked. That sounded like a good idea that no matter what, I had no tangible reason to turn it down — it's the weekend! This was the first time I actually got an open invitation to a Moroccan home to taste Moroccan cuisine, home-prepared  with lots of love.  (who doesn't love some  " home cho "? ) . I thought to myself that it was a good opportunity for me to immerse myself in the culture, at the very least reveling in it. It's  11 o'clock in the morning,  I'm still in bed half-awake when the call from an unknown number came through. I figured it might be Marwan since I hardly receive phone calls from my number. This was not far from truth as the person at the other end of the phone bellowed " weeeesh ". " Oh yeah what's up ? How's it going ? You already had breakfast ? " Breakfast you said?  I don't recall the very last time I made time to eat a hearty breakfast; It's just

Daddy-Long-Legs at the Rabat Medina



I call him "Daddy-long-legs" because of his tall, slender frame with long legs. Just a few inches taller than I am.
I was overwhelmed  in a positive way that fateful Saturday. I mean the reception itself was beyond comprehension. They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and I think that might be fairly true. "Would you like to go to Rabat with us?" Hajia Latifa asked after the sumptuous meal of couscous had settled. Although I looked confused, probably because I did not understand what was being said, I just nodded. Rabat, okay let's go. There's no harm in that. She was already dressed in a beautiful djallabia laced with embroidery on the front. All right, that was so typical. Oh how can I forget Haj Abdelrahim (It's pronounced a certain way). I prefer to call him Alhaji Rahim since I couldn't bear with the twisting of my delicate tongue (I'm smiling in old negro spiritual). "Yo quiero", "je t'aime" were inscribed on Mounia's blouse. "I think I love you too", I silently told myself, just myself haha. So all was set to go. I was indeed clueless why we were going, trust me. 

THE MEDINA 


"Prochaine station, Place Al Joulane 1". I can't tell why I always melt at the sound of the soothing voice of the lady that makes announcements on the tram. Others might find it irritating, but it oddly enough tickles my eardrums. That sensation is so therapeutic. Looks like I am daydreaming now. I need to wake up. Where are we? Old Medina it is, uhm-hmmm. I was then having wild, wild thoughts about why I came there in the first place. I've been to the Medina about a thousand and one times. The Medina is a large market, that's all I can say . "Let's just see how different this would be", I whispered to Marwan. At the Medina, Mounia was my buddy-buddy. By the way, I was told Mounia means wish. Allow me throw the spotlight on her now. Finding our way through this labyrinth of a Medina, we were eagerly looking to see all the rare tropical fruits we had talked about with Moncef. In one corner of the paved street was pawpaw (papaya). Check, check, the list went on and on. Now the real struggle lies here. Saturday, I think, is a good time to see the hustle and bustle of life at the Medina. It was crowded, perhaps overcrowded. The walkways were small and one has to meander his way through a sea of people; a Herculean task in my opinion. "Balaak, faites attention" were not uncommon to be heard (You can now start learning any African language today!). Mounia insisted I kept my sac-à-dos in front of me. For the umpteenth time I obliged, for safety sake. She was  behind looking for God-knows-what. So I decided to cry out to her in Arabic and French saying, "Mounia, yalla vas-y". The reaction was priceless, unexpected.

 The expression on Hajia's face was that of bewilderment, joy, and admiration. I guess I made a good impression on her. While Navigating the labyrinth, we crunched on some pastries that were bought early on. It tastes good, just like the savouries we have in Ghana but I felt this particular one was made with a maggi-like spice. I am digressing now. We came to a stop at a jeans stall. Marwan wants to get for himself some jeans trousers. Much to his dismay, every pair he chose seemed to be too short or small. I call him "Daddy-long-legs" because of his tall, slender frame with long legs. Just a few inches taller than I am. (I am tall too compared to someone 😈). If he were in Ghana, he would have been nicknamed "Odogo", "Long John", or "Tee Taller".  I wish I had those legs because that will bring an end to me folding my trouser length about five times in order to put it on. Finally found him a perfect pair and set to go. It's 7:30 pm already. We ate "chabakiya" شباكية ( chips dropped in caramel, I think ) while I rehearsed what  I had to say to "khalti"(aunt). I kept postponing till that moment became inevitable. Mounia called Hajia to tell her I had something to say to her. Like seriously, I'm so shy. All eyes on me I mustered courage and my lips started moving as everyone was eager to hear what I had to say.

 "Hajia Latifa, shoukran 3la couscous lyoum. Kan bnin bzaaaf", I murmured. "Awili", "winuu", that was the cutest thing they had heard in a very long time. I literally thanked her for the meal and told her it was very delicious. It was at this point I was given the Moroccan card lol. (Black card not revoked). They opened their doors widely to me and said that I shouldn't hesitate whenever I want know about anything , even remotely Moroccan. 
As I said earlier, I've been to the medina several times but this was different. Different because anytime I went there, I went alone to get really quick and return home. However, I received some funny looks that day. I'll talk about that another day. 😂

Keep watching this space, there's something in the pipeline.#WETOO. Très chic. I'm out. Bislama!

Comments

  1. Next time we all are coming😁...nice piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT was hell of a day my Man, Glad you liked the experiance. When you said Im "Daddy-long-Legs" which in Morocco is called "Chniwla" That Was so funny i laughed so Hard my man. #Much_Love
    #Marwan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had those daddy-long- legs haha.

      Delete
  3. I’m impressed by this piece.
    such as this,is what we call talent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Glad you're impressed.

      Delete
  4. Hello! Rey how are you ? Thanks for your compliments we are waiting for your second visit �� oops i will not mention my name i'll just say ( winooo, we too......hahah).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winoo have you out already haha. It was simply amazing. #WeToo

      Delete
  5. Nice piece Maroc would be very interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know right. You should visit sometime.

      Delete
  6. Damn you are fucking genius...Good piece

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bseha at all .... next time inchalah in Casa ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be more than happy to visit the Casaoui too hh.

      Delete
  8. That was amazing !! and magic !!! Good job Reynell !! أتمنى لك التوفيق 😉

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's an exclent chronicle of trip to the ancient part of the city seen from another angle. Your skill in writing is remarkably surprising. My question is, what are they going to teach you more at the university. I bet many teachers are going to be jeallous. They're not half gifted than you are. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find the tram lady voice therapeutic too! Glad u had a fun time x3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyable to read. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Write a feedback

Popular posts from this blog

THE MOROCCAN LOVE POT: Couscous

" Can I call you on Saturday ?", he asked. That sounded like a good idea that no matter what, I had no tangible reason to turn it down — it's the weekend! This was the first time I actually got an open invitation to a Moroccan home to taste Moroccan cuisine, home-prepared  with lots of love.  (who doesn't love some  " home cho "? ) . I thought to myself that it was a good opportunity for me to immerse myself in the culture, at the very least reveling in it. It's  11 o'clock in the morning,  I'm still in bed half-awake when the call from an unknown number came through. I figured it might be Marwan since I hardly receive phone calls from my number. This was not far from truth as the person at the other end of the phone bellowed " weeeesh ". " Oh yeah what's up ? How's it going ? You already had breakfast ? " Breakfast you said?  I don't recall the very last time I made time to eat a hearty breakfast; It's just

Miss Lisa Edem for Miss Prampram 2016

Miss Lisa Edem better known by many as 'mhyzlisdem' has always had a passion for beauty pageant. It is in this light that she thrives very hard to reach unattainable heights . Being an enthusiast of such contests, she started at a very young age. Though she's only 18(as at the time of publication), she is very determined to live her dreams . It is no surprise she came up as second runner- up at the just ended Miss Prampram contest . She amazed both audience and judges as well due to her flawless performance and eloquence. She is indeed a rare gem. She is a talent to be looking out for since she is the next big thing to hit the industry. Miss Prampram pageant The pageant was organised by Media Eye pot. She got into the pageant courtesy of a friend who informed of her about the contest which she did not hesitate to participate. In all ten ladies were competing for the crown as Miss Prampram. To select a winner, the ladies did various tasks in different to depict

Mr. Jailer, Stop Calling Me A Prisoner.

I’m in chains, you’re in chains too... Mr. Jailer, Stop Calling Me A Prisoner... It’s about time I bid adieu to the days where I was gaoled  wondering whether I’d for once in this damned cage be greeted with a wall of text saying you cared as much I do. I was always waiting, and waiting for the turning gyre, waiting for that moment where a sporadic conversation might flow. You all know, all the moments you initiated good, telling connection, made me more than happy — but that did not happen— oh how I hate spoilers! Perhaps  I shouldn’t have tried too hard at getting your attention; Hopes were high, might as well be better to say that false hopes which were raised threw me down a downward spiral, and I should have seen through it. Oh but these cages, these cages, mr jailer, clouded my better judgement! Start learning any African language today!  Everyone talks about love in ways that transcend what our naked eyes may want to believe. Love is love but you can’t just help it